I am a writer and producer based in Los Angeles. My goal is to make stuff with comedy and music that reminds people that there is still wonder and enchantment to be found in this world. Or at least make people laugh at the absurdity of it all. I currently serve as the Artistic Director/Booker at The Hollywood Improv.
About This Website:
A place to read about the projects I am working on, as well as periodic ramblings on the ups and downs of engaging in said projects. Plus other junk.
My work Comedy Central, Hulu, NPR, Atom Films, The TV Guide Channel, and the internet.
I started doing comedy in San Francisco in 2001, and I’ve performed stand-up, improv, and sketch comedy for over 15 years, producing dozens of live music, comedy and gallery art shows with events in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, and Portland.
In addition to booking shows and headliners at The Improv, I produce and host a semi-regular live variety show there called Van Jam with my writing and producing partner Vanessa Ragland. We have a wonderful live soul/jazz house band, we do silly bits and perform songs, and have had special guests including Louis CK, Aziz Ansari, Todd Glass, Tig Notaro, and many other amazing comics. You oughta come check it out!
I produce and talk on a podcast called “The Long Shot” with Sean Conroy and Amber Kenny which is a part of the All Things Comedy Network. We have exciting guests on it like Patton Oswalt, Tim Meadows, Jen Kirkman, Paul F. Tompkins, Joe Wagner, and Jeanane Garafolo!
I also produce and talk on a podcast called Gatekeeper which is a part of the Sideshow Network where I talk to other bookers, producers, industry peeps, and artists about the art of saying yes and no.
I find that making stuff, good stuff anyway, is a challenge, and I am forever trying to figure out ways to be more happy and productive while doing it.
Some other fun facts:
- I have a degree in Religious Studies from The University of California, Santa Barbara, where I focused on Eastern religions and philosophies.
- I was born in the Year of the Dragon. Like the dragon, I am fierce, and a reptile.
- In 8th grade I was in a Beatles cover band called Revolution and we took second at the 1989 Beatlefest Battle of the Bands.
- I once spoke to Ringo Starr on the phone.
- In high school I had hair extensions, wanted to be in a gang, and played one year of football. I regularly read about these things to roaring audiences at Mortified.
- I once won a popular MTV dating game show.
- I’ve been a receptionist. I’ve been a bartender. I’ve been a caterer. I’ve been an admin assistant. I had a short lived boat cleaning service. I worked at a Cinabon.
- I got a free beer once in Flam, Norway.
- I once won a Pearl Jam CD in Yahoo Sports Create-a-Caption Contest and they never even sent it to me! I am not bitter.
- Most importantly, the theme for my Bar Mitzvah reception was The Beatles.